MMAtwo’s innovative concept for PMMA waste recycling through depolymerization will focus on handling both post-industrial and contaminated end-of-life PMMA waste, thereby converting difficult to recycle waste that would otherwise be landfilled or incinerated into high quality secondary raw material.
The main objectives of the projects are:
- Construct a new PMMA recycling value chain in Europe, covering the whole value chain of the PMMA lifecycle with both production waste and end of life waste
- Avoid down-cycling through reactive recycling (depolymerization)
- Develop an innovative lead-free technology enabling recycling of lower quality waste
- Increase waste collection (particularly end of life PMMA waste) by boosting public and professionals awareness of PMMA recyclability.
- Full recycling of PMMA inside Europe including co-products
- High-end products (high optical properties)
- Reduce energy consumption and CO2 emissions compared to virgin monomer supported by preliminary lifecycle analysis.
- Positive economic business model
- Positive impact on people through supporting recycling technology
- Gaining of (academic) knowledge